




Sorry this took so long to post, but we're having so much fun!
Coincidentally, we started on Route 66 in Chicago on 6/6- tis fate I say. Getting out of Chi-town while staying on 66 took nearly 5 hours (yikes). Well worth it, though. Bobby and I had a wonderful time with the Oak family, especially with their mini resident historian, Devyn. Right before we left Chicago, I found a cardinal feather, which is supposedly a sign of good journeys ahead- let's hope so. After a long and site scant ride through Southern Illinois we made St. Louis, Missouri by 1 am where we stopped for a much needed rest, but not before we had some awesome BBQ.
For those who don't know much about 66, here's a little history lesson for ya:
- Route 66 opened to traffic in 1926 and remained predominantly unpaved until the 1930s
- Route 66 is often referred to as "The Mother Road" and "America's Main Street"
Coincidentally, we started on Route 66 in Chicago on 6/6- tis fate I say. Getting out of Chi-town while staying on 66 took nearly 5 hours (yikes). Well worth it, though. Bobby and I had a wonderful time with the Oak family, especially with their mini resident historian, Devyn. Right before we left Chicago, I found a cardinal feather, which is supposedly a sign of good journeys ahead- let's hope so. After a long and site scant ride through Southern Illinois we made St. Louis, Missouri by 1 am where we stopped for a much needed rest, but not before we had some awesome BBQ.
For those who don't know much about 66, here's a little history lesson for ya:
- Route 66 opened to traffic in 1926 and remained predominantly unpaved until the 1930s
- Route 66 is often referred to as "The Mother Road" and "America's Main Street"
- Route 66 is not marked on current maps
- The "Mother Road" is 2448 miles long, crossing through 8 states and 3 times zones
- Route 66 was replaced by the modern interstate and officially decommissioned in 1985
Sounds like the start of a great journey. Happy to be your first passenger! I shall live vicariously through your travels. Good luck and enjoy!
ReplyDeleteP.S. My kids will want lots of pics of Lightning McQueen and all the characters when you pass through Radiator Springs... Hope you have a chance to spend some time there!